Michael D. Danti & Cheikhmous Ali
Key points from this report:
- One or two tunnel bombs detonated by Jabha Shamiya militants in the Ancient City of Aleppo (UNESCO World Heritage Site), allegedly damaging historic structures
- DGAM report on the site of Dura Europos confirms widespread destruction by looters and vandalism of the excavation headquarters and visitors center
- DGAM publishes Q4 2014 heritage damage report detailing damage in 8 of 14 governorates (summary chart provided here)
- DGAM reports may be over-attributing damage to looting/illegal excavation, as opposed to neglect
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: