Michael D. Danti, Cheikhmous Ali, Allison Cuneo, Kyra Kaercher, Katherine Burge, LeeAnn Barnes Gordon, and Erin Van Gessel
Key points from this report:
- The Association for the Protection of Syrian Archaeology posted new photos showing the current condition of the “Citadel” (the Fakhr al‐Din al‐Maani Castle) at Palmyra.
- ISIL militants allegedly forced prisoners to destroy tombstones in the town of al‐ Mayadin, Deir ez‐Zor Governorate, Syria and ISIL is allegedly looting the nearby archaeological site of Rahba Citadel.
- The Syrian Directorate General of Antiquities and Museums posted information on damage to heritage places in the area of the Old Town of Marbaa in Daraa Governorate near Bosra.
- ISIL militants allegedly destroyed a Yezidi shrine in the town of Gabara near Sinjar, Ninawa Governorate, Iraq.
- ISIL allegedly demolished the Olympic Stadium in Ramadi, Al Anbar Governorate, Iraq.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: