Michael D. Danti, Cheikhmous Ali, Michel Maqdisi, Tate Paulette, Allison Cuneo, Kathryn Franklin, LeeAnn Barnes Gordon, Kyra Kaercher, and Erin Van Gessel
Key points from this report:
- ISIL militants destroyed Palmyrene funerary sculptures in the northern town of Manbij.
- ISIL released a video of its mass execution of SARG military personnel in the Palmyra Theater.
- In western Syria, reported damage to archaeological sites caused by intense military clashes in the area of Zabadani.
- The DGAM reported the Daraa Museum suffered minor damage during military combat.
- In Iraq, reports of the intentional destruction of the Shrine and Tomb of Imam Ismail south of Kirkuk.
- Recent satellite imagery reveals damage to two mounds in northern Syria near the border with Turkey linked to military use and looting.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: