Michael D. Danti, Cheikhmous Ali, Tate Paulette, Kathryn Franklin, Allison Cuneo, LeeAnn Barnes Gordon, and David Elitzer
Key points from this report:
- Unconfirmed reports of looting and destruction of sculptures by ISIL at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Palmyra in Syria.
- Unconfirmed reports of deliberate destruction of cultural heritage by ISIL at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Assur in Iraq.
- Unconfirmed reports of deliberate destruction by ISIL of historically significant religious sites in Iraq.
- Critics in the media continue to draw attention to the imbalance in media coverage devoted to heritage issues relative to human atrocities, loss of life, and the humanitarian situation more broadly.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: