Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Susan Penacho, Bijan Rouhani, Amr Al-Azm, Marina Gabriel, Kyra Kaercher, Jamie O’Connell, with consultation from Thomas Livoti
Key points from this report:
- Aerial bombardment shows ongoing airstrikes in the vicinity of al-Kabir Mosque in the village of Deir al-Asafir, Damascus Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0009 UPDATE).
- New footage reveals the extent of damage to the Church of the Virgin Mary in the village of Tel Nasri, Hasakah Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0032).
- A Russian military base has been constructed within the Northern Necropolis at Palmyra, Homs Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0065).
- Airstrikes damage UNESCO World Heritage Site Deir Semaan in Deir Semaan, Aleppo Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0066). The Day After Heritage Protection Initiative has produced a report on the damage.
- Ongoing airstrikes damage Al Kabir Mosque in the town of As-Sukhna, Homs Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0067).
- Mortar shells struck and damaged the St. George Church in the city of Hasakah, Hasakah Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0068).
- Alleged SARG barrel bombs damage Abi bin Abi Talib Mosque in the village of Burj al Qa’ei, Homs Governorate, Syria (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0069).
- Airstrikes struck and damaged the fence of the Idlib Museum in the city of Idlib, Idlib Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0070).
- Suspected Russian airstrikes damage Al Bara bin Malek Mosque, Ammar Bin Yasser Mosque, Salah ad Din Mosque, and Khalid Ibn Al-Walid Mosque in and around the city of Aleppo, Aleppo Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0071).
- New ISIL propaganda photographs show the destruction of the Mashki and Adad Gates at the ancient city of Nineveh, Ninawa Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0010 UPDATE).
- Alleged US-led coalition airstrikes struck and damaged Al-Raqib Mosque in the city of Fallujah, Al Anbar Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0014).
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: