Michael D. Danti, Amr al-Azm, Allison Cuneo, Susan Penacho, Bijan Rouhani, Marina Gabriel, Kyra Kaercher, and Jamie O’Connell
Key points from this report:
- SARG and Russian forces capture Palmyra from ISIL militants, providing the most comprehensive photographic documentation of the historic site and its museum since the ISIL occupation started in May 2015 (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0041, SHI 16-0042, and SHI 16-0043).
- The Uthman bin Affan Mosque and Bilal ibn Rabia Mosque in Tadmor, Homs Governorate was damaged, reportedly by Russian airstrikes (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0039).
- Two sites in the city of Raqqa, a market near Hattin Cemetery and an area near al-Imam al-Nawawi Mosque, were damaged reportedly by Russian airstrikes (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0038).
- The al-Sayyida Aisha Mosque in the city of Aleppo, Aleppo Governorate was damaged reportedly by Russian airstrikes (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0040).
- Reportedly damage the Al Aisha Mosque in Mosul, Ninawa Governorate reportedly by US-led Coalition airstrikes (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0009).
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: