Michael D. Danti, Amr al-Azm, Allison Cuneo, Susan Penacho, Bijan Rohani, Marina Gabriel, Kyra Kaercher, and Jamie O’Connell
Key points from this report:
- Recent video shows the damage to the al-Kabir Mosque in Hayan, Aleppo Governorate, which was destroyed on February 10, 2016 (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0025 UPDATE).
- DGAM reports illegal ongoing excavations at the Dead Cities of Dahes, Babisqa, and Dar Qita in the Jebel Barisha area of Idlib Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0034).
- Several sources reported damage to the archaeological area of Palmyra, the Qalaat Shirkuh, and the Sayyeda Khadija Mosque in modern Palmyra, Homs Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0035).
- Video footage shows damage to two churches in Raqqa, which were first damaged in September 2013, which are now occupied by ISIL (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0036).
- A new video of the Abi Thar Al Ghafari Mosque in Tadmor, Homs Governorate, reportedly struck by SARG missiles in December 2015, shows the extent of the damage (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-0160 UPDATE).
- DGAM reports illegal excavation with heavy machinery has caused significant damage at the archaeological site of Tell Ajaja in al-Hasakah Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-0037).
- Coalition airstrikes caused extensive damage to al-Farouq Mosque in Kubaysah, al-Anbar Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0008).
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: