Michael D. Danti, Amr al-Azm, Allison Cuneo, Susan Penacho, Bijan Rohani, Marina Gabriel, Kyra Kaercher, and Jamie O’Connell
Key points from this report:
- The Malthai Rock Reliefs in Dahuk were vandalized by graffiti (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0005).
- Two ISIL suicide bombings damaged the Shia Rasul al-Azam Mosque in Baghdad (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0006).
- An ISIL suicide bomber attacked a Shia mosque in Muqdadiyah, Diyala Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0007).
- Russian airstrikes damaged the al-Souq Mosque in Palmyra, Homs Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0029).
- Aerial bombardment damages two mosques in the city of Aleppo (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0030).
- A series of four suicide bombings occurred near the Shrine of Sayyida Zainab in Damascus Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0031).
- ISIL militants damaged or destroyed at least 19 Assyrian churches along the Khabur River in Hasakah Governorate since early 2015 (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0032).
- Russian airstrikes damaged a mosque in Dar Ta’izzah, Aleppo Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0033).
- The Day After Heritage Protection Initiative produced two condition assessments on heritage assets in Jaradeh and Serjilla in Idlib Governorate (Appended TDA Reports #1 and #2).
- The Day After Heritage Protection Initiative also conducted a rapid site assessment to document damage caused by Russian airstrikes around the site of Ebla (Appended TDA Report #3).
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: