Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Amr al-Azm, Marina Gabriel, Susan Penacho, Kyra Kaercher, LeeAnn Barnes Gordon, Emily Ham, and John O’Neill
Key points from this report:
- A report by The Day After Heritage Protection Initiative details to Ebla in Syria (ASOR CHI Incidient Report SHI 15-0150 and Appended TDA Report).
- In-country sources in Syria report on the condition of Tell al-Atarib in Aleppo Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-0151) and the Tomb of Omar Bin Abdul Aziz in Hama Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-0152).
- ISIL releases video of executions at Qaalat al-‐Rahbeh (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-0153).
- Russian airstrikes and clashes between ISIL militants and pro-‐Assad forces in and near Tadmor/Palmyra cause extensive damage in the area (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-0155).
- SARG airstrikes continue in the governorates of Damascus, and Homs.
- Russian airstrikes continue in the governorates of Aleppo, Damascus, Hama, Homs, Idlib, and Latakia.
- Religious heritage sites were damaged by airstrikes in the regions of Hama (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-‐0154), Aleppo (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-‐0156), and Idlib (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-‐0157)
- Ongoing airstrikes on the city of Aleppo, including portions of the Old City, caused extensive damage and high civilian casualties.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: