Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Marina Gabriel, Susan Penacho, Kyra Kaercher, Marshall Schurtz, LeeAnn Barnes Gordon, Emily Ham, and John O’Neill
Key points from this report:
- ASOR CHI in-country sources report that the Great Mosque of Maraat Al-Numan was damaged by airstrikes.
- A tunnel bomb damaged the main entrance to the Aleppo Citadel and the immediately adjacent Khan al-Shouna (var. Shouneh, Shoune).
- The Raqqa Museum was reportedly struck by Russian airstrikes.
- ASOR CHI in-country sources report new roads are being constructed within the walls of ancient Nineveh.
- A suicide bomber attacked a Shia mosque in Sadr City outside Baghdad.
- Gunmen blew up the Abu Hanifa Mosque in Muqdadiyah.
- Syrian military forces, with the assistance of Russian airstrikes and pro-government forces, advance towards Palmyra.
- Russian airstrikes continue as French forces begin intensive bombing campaigns in the wake of a terrorist attack in Paris, which also resulted in an expansion of US targets to include oil fields and tanker truck convoys.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: