Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Marina Gabriel, Susan Penacho, Kyra Kaercher, LeeAnn Barnes Gordon, Emily Ham, and John O’Neill
Key points from this report:
- Russia conducted airstrikes near the archaeological sites of Palmyra in Homs Governorate at Tell al-Hara in Daraa Governorate.
- Newly-released DigitalGlobe satellite imagery reveals evidence of conflict-related looting at the site of Rasha el-Qibliye.
- The DGAM reported damage to the site of Al Bara, which forms part of the Dead Cities region of Syria (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 15-0146). The Day After Heritage Protection Initiative has produced a report on the damage as well.
- On November 8, the DGAM reported that some media outlets had released information on an alleged tunnel bombing west of the main (south) entrance of the Aleppo Citadel. The DGAM’s regional office in Aleppo later verified the report and localized the damage to the open area between the Citadel’s main gate and the Khan Shouneh. ASOR CHI is currently gathering additional details.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: