Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Marina Gabriel, Susan Penacho, Kyra Kaercher, LeeAnn Barnes Gordon, Emily Ham, and John O’Neill
Key points from this report:
- Satellite imagery shows ongoing looting at the site of Tell Bezzam near Hama, Syria.
- The DGAM reports ongoing looting in the Dier ez-Zor region of Syria.
- Russian airstrikes allegedly struck multiple sites in the Dead Cities region. The Day After Heritage Protection Initiative has produced a brief, illustrated report of the damage to the site of Shinshara in Syria.
- ISIL advances into rebel held areas of Syria in the wake of the Russian air campaign in support of SARG forces.
- ISIL intentionally destroys the Arch of Triumph in Palmyra, Syria.
- ISIL supporters demolish the Abdullah ibn Mubarak Shrine and Mosque in Hit, Iraq.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: