Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Susan Penacho, Kyra Kaercher, Katherine Burge, Mariana Gabriel, and LeeAnn Barnes Gordon
Key points from this report:
- New evidence of undocumented destruction in the Valley of the Tombs at Palmyra, including severe damage and total destruction of seven Tower Tombs using DigitalGlobe satellite imagery.
- Satellite imagery shows ongoing looting and militarization at the site of Apamea and new evidence of these activities at Tell Houach.
- New propaganda from ISIL was released, depicting the destruction of the Deir Mar Elian monastery, the Baalshamin Temple, and the Temple of Bel.
- DigitalGlobe satellite imagery confirms the extent of damage to the Baalshamin and Temple of Bel.
- The Day After Heritage Protection Initiative produced a comprehensive report on the damage to archaeological sites in the Manbej and Jarablus Regions.
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: