Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Susan Penacho, Marina Gabriel, Kyra Kaercher, Jamie O’Connell, Ali Jabuuri, Richard Zettler
Key points from this report:
- ISIL militants have been looting archaeological sites and vandalizing graves in Kirkuk Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0031).
- ISIL-affiliated Amaq News Agency alleged a US-led coalition airstrike damaged a mosque in Mosul, Ninawa Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0032).
- Alleged SARG airstrikes damaged three mosques in Idlib Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0154).
- Alleged Russian airstrikes damaged two mosques in the city of Aleppo (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0155).
- SARG forces looted a makeshift library in Daraya, Rif Dimashq Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0156).
- Alleged SARG airstrikes damaged a Byzantine-era site in Hama Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0175).
- A fire destroyed a historic house in the Saroujah District of Damascus (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0176).
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: