Michael D. Danti, Allison Cuneo, Susan Penacho, Amr Al-Azm, Bijan Rouhani, Marina Gabriel, Kyra Kaercher, Jamie O’Connell
Key points from this report:
- Recent video footage and eyewitness accounts detailed damage to three churches located in Sinjar, Ninawa Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0028).
- Peshmerga forces discovered that ISIL militants dug tunnels and installed showers in a mosque in Abzakh, Ninawa Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report IHI 16-0029).
- New video footage shows extensive damage to a cemetery in Arbin, Rif Dimashq Governorate, reportedly the result of SARG airstrikes (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0132).
- An alleged SARG airstrike damaged a mosque in Khan al-Shieh, Rif Dimashq Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0133).
- Allegedly, a SARG barrel bomb and Russian cluster bomb damaged a mosque and religious school in Aleppo (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0134).
- The DGAM published photographs of extensive damage to two historic buildings in Aleppo (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0135).
- New video footage shows damage to a mosque in Damascus, reportedly the result of ongoing SARG military activity in the area (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0136).
- ISIL militants vandalized the exterior of a mosque in Djerablus, Aleppo Governorate (ASOR CHI Incident Report SHI 16-0137).
* This report is based on research conducted by the “Syria Preservation Initiative: Planning for Safeguarding Heritage Sites in Syria." Weekly reports reflect reporting from a variety of sources and may contain unverified material. As such, they should be treated as preliminary and subject to change.
Join the conversation on Facebook & Twitter: